Saturday, June 27, 2009

Papad and Tomato Bhaji by Shubha Ravikoti

Papad Tamata nu Shak :
I dunno the origin of this dish....whether its Rajasthan or
its Gujrat, But I know onething...I really relish this subzi.
I remeber having this once at my gujju friends place when I was
in college. Her mom was a great cook. I used really love anything
she used to cook. Guess it had immense love in it. They were
jain so they used to skip many vegetables, and had so many
different varieties of dishes. All the dishes I had at her
house have a special place in my memory and in my heart. This is
one of those kinds. I dont know the exact recipe as I never asked
aunty for one. Come on... I was in college... who cooks when in
college.... I never did :P. So just with some memories and some
ideas i came up with this recipe.

I just Love this recipe. Its so easy to make and so tasty.
I many a time substitute papad to sev, boondi or even ghatia.. U
can even add mixture to it it will taste awesome....:)

I have made this bhaji without any thing too... and it tastes awesome
even without any farsan in it...:)


Ingredients:

Papad (I used Lijjat) - 3 fried and made into small pieces
Tomato(preferably roma tomatoes) - 2 small
Jeera (cumin seeds) - 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1tsp
Sour Curd (yoghurt) - 2 tbsp
Besan (gram flour) - 1/3 tsp
Water - 1/2 cup
Salt (optional)
Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Green Chillies - 2 slit
Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
Sugar - 1 tsp
Lemon juice - 2 tsp (only if yogurt is not too sour ...mine wasnt)
Oil - 3 tsp

Method :

In a Kadhai or a pan take oil and add the jeera and green chillies.
Let it splutter well. Now add the tomatoes and saute till tender.
Add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder and mix well.

Once the tomatoes are cooked well add the sour curd (yogurt)
and mix well. Take water in a small bowl and add the besan to
it and mix well. Now, add the besan water mix to the curds and
let it cook for 2 minutes.

Now add the fried papad and sugar and mix well. See that the
papad is soaked well in the gravy. cook till the curd starts
boiling lightly and the gravy becomes a bit thick.Noe taste the
gravy and see. Add salt if needed. U may not add salt as the
papad already has salt in it. Remove from flame and add lemon
juice and mix well. Transfer into a serving boil and garnish with
fresh chopped coriander leaves. This is a nice alternative when
ur grocery shopping is pending.

my Webpage Link : http://chutkibharpyar.blogspot.com/2008/05/its-time-to-celebrate-some.html
This should be eaten with chapathi :)

0 comments: